Thursday, January 23, 2014

Anatomy 101

I never would have thought that at the ripe old age of 4, I would be needing to have some important anatomy discussions with her.  Tessa has become fascinated with the human body,  specifically reproduction in the human body.  I attribute this to the fact that her aunt is due in April with baby #3 and her bestie, Cora, just became a big sister for the 2nd time.  Either way, Tessa was playing the other day and had a baby in her shirt.  This wasn't a huge shock to me, because she has breast fed her babies in the past (again because she has seen women in our family do that).  Anyway, she announced that she was pregnant and I was to deliver the baby.  Since I was caught off guard and a little unsure of myself, Tessa had a c-section just like her mom.  Don't worry, both mom and baby are doing well.  :)

A few days after that we had another anatomy lesson, only this time it focused more on boys body parts.  This time we were in the bathroom, and Tessa was asking why she couldn't stand up to pee like the boys at her daycare do.  I was explaining that she is a girl and therefore, doesn't have a penis.  Broch and I decided a long time ago that we were going to use the proper terminology for body parts; that being said Tessa still calls her private parts her privacy.  Anyway, I digress.  Here is how our conversation went -

T - I can stand up and go pee like Kaedin and Matthew.
M - No, Tessa you need to sit to go potty because you are a girl.
T - Why can they stand and I can't?
M - They are boys and their pee comes out of their penis.  You don't have a penis so you have to sit.
T - When I get older, I'll have a penis.
M - That isn't how it usually works, Tessa.  Sorry.
T - If you have another baby, then I will become a boy and can stand to pee.
M - Mommy is not going to have another baby and if I was, you would still be a girl.
T - You don't have a penis?
M - No, I do not because I am a girl.
T - Dad is a boy.  He has a penis?
M - That is right.  That is why he stands to pee.
T - Dad, can I see your penis?
M - (trying not to laugh) Tessa, we don't ask people to see their private parts.

Each day is a new adventure.  Some days are just more memorable than others.


No comments:

Post a Comment