Tessa,
You never got a chance to know Great Grandma Schwarz. She was one heck of a woman. This weekend, we will say good-bye to her as she joins Great Grandpa Schwarz, Uncle Bill, and baby Alayna in Heaven. Below is the eulogy that I wrote about her. Hopefully, it will give you some insight into what she was like.
I love you,
Mommy
Genevieve Schwarz
Sister. Wife.
Mother. Grandma. Great-Grandma. All of these words describe the woman I grew
up calling Grandma, but don’t be mistaken.
She wasn’t your typical everyday grandma.
My Grandma was the mother of 11
children. That in itself sets her
apart. Being the matriarch of a large
family comes with some hefty responsibilities – including feeding everyone, keeping
a budget while ensuring that everyone’s needs are met, and keeping all 11 kids in
line while helping them to reach their potential. Grandma was successful in all of these
areas. Her family meant everything to
her.
As if raising a family that size
wasn’t enough, she also helped run and manage the family business, Daddy Dale’s
Dairy Dip. She also worked part-time for
a while at the Piper City FS Seed Plant and sold Cort cosmetics. She was very active in the Catholic Church as
well. She was even named Catholic Woman
of the Year. She was the caretaker of
the church for as long as I can remember, and she taught Catechism. She did all of this while making sure that
she was always present for her children’s extra-curricular events.
As a young girl, I was always in
awe of my Grandma. My favorite memories
of her take place at her house. I
realized at a young age, that if I wanted something I needed to ask
Grandma. She always did have a hard time
telling us grandkids no – especially when it came to sweets and soda. I remember going to family get togethers and
always having plenty of people to play with and food to eat. No one can make banana Jell-O salad or
spaghetti like my Grandma – even if it did come from a box. These family dinners were always a little
chaotic, but I don’t think any of us would have had it any other way. Every time some one new came to one of these
events, I think they were a little overwhelmed at the shear number of bodies in
the house and the volume of conversation, but that was the norm for us.
When I got a little older, my
favorite vacation spot was my Grandma and Grandpa’s house. My parents would drop us off for the week,
and I couldn’t have been happier. With
such a large family, spending time one on one with Grandma and Grandpa was
rare; I looked forward to these trips every summer. I remember waking up, to find “homemade”
cinnamon rolls (you know, from the freezer to the oven, made at home) waiting
for me. Of course, Grandma had been up
for hours by the time I woke up doing laundry or gardening. I guess that explains all of her “cat naps”
in the evening before the 10 o’clock news.
Our days would be filled with going swimming, venturing to Wal-Mart or
even the mall, and playing cards.
Grandma and Grandpa’s house was the meeting place for all the family members,
so there was always somebody stopping by for a cup of coffee or a quick game of
rummy.
As I got older, my relationship
with Grandma changed. I was no longer a
little girl that she had to take care of.
I became another person at the card table to deal a hand to and another
person to compete against at the Bingo hall.
I also got to know first hand what a great backseat driver my Grandma
was. There was no need for a speedometer when Grandma was in the car because
she was sure to let you know when you were close – or heaven forbid over the
speed limit. Considering she didn’t like
to drive, she sure knew the rules of the road well.
I think the hardest part about
Grandma getting Alzheimer’s was the fact that although she looked the same, she
was no longer the person I grew up calling Grandma. I feel so fortunate to have known the real
Genevieve Schwarz. I just wish all of
her grandkids and great-grandkids could have known her before the disease robbed
her of not only her mind, but also her feisty personality.
Although I am sad that she is no
longer physically here with us, I know that she is with Grandpa, Uncle Bill,
and baby Alayna in Heaven. I know that
her memory will live on in each of us – whether it is evident through us as a
hard work ethic, an incredibly big sweet tooth, a unbreakable devotion to
family and church, or the blunt way we are all sometimes a little “too honest”
– a part of Grandma will always live on.
No comments:
Post a Comment