Monday, June 27, 2011

Cousins - The Next Best Thing to Siblings

As of right now, we are not planning on having any more children.  If God has different plans, then we will welcome them; however, both Broch and I feel that Tessa completes our family perfectly.  Part of me feels guilty about Tessa being an only child.  Being a teacher, I have encountered several kids who are only children.  They always say that they wish they had a sibling, but on the other hand more times than not kids with a lot of siblings secretly wish they were an only child.  I guess the saying about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence would apply to this situation perfectly.

Kaedin, Tessa, and Braylin at MeMa and PaPa's
One of the reasons I don't feel AS guilty about Tessa being an only child is because she has some pretty terrific cousins - Kaedin, Braylin, and our Angel Alayna.  Ever since Tessa was little the boys have loved her very much (even if it was a little rough at times).  They would want to hold her, give her knuckles,  bring her toys to play with, help give her a bath, and make her laugh.  These two boys can make Tessa laugh like no other. 

Now that she is older, she can try to keep up with the boys.  She like to run and play with them.  I think the boys really enjoy this, even if she gets into their things at times.  I think it is great that our family is so close, that Tessa will get to grow up with her cousins. 

Our Angel, Alayna
It is also very important to me that Tessa knows all about her cousin, Alayna.  Just because they never got a chance to meet, doesn't mean that Alayna is any less a part of our family.  We have pictures up on Alayna in the house.  We talk about her with Tessa, and we have even named one of Tessa's baby doll's Laney after Alayna.  As Tessa gets older, I plan on taking her out to Alayna's gravesite to tell her all about our sweet angel Alayna.


This year has been full of rough patches, but I am thankful for them because they have given our family a whole new perspective on what is really important in life - FAMILY.  I don't want to sound boastful, but I am proud of the family Tessa was born into.  I hope that as she grows older, she will feel the same way too.

1 comment:

  1. I do follow this blog, Jackie, but I've never posted a comment until now. I love this post and I love how our family has come through such tragedy and overall rough times this past year. It means the world to me to have such an awesome and loving family. I love you, Broch, and Tessa! -Jodie

    ReplyDelete