A few months ago, I purchased a cute pink potty chair at a garage sale for the bargain price of $2.00. I sanitized it, and put it away under the bathroom cabinet for use at a later date. We are in no way trying to potty train or pushing Tessa to use the potty. From what I have heard and read, she is much younger than the average potty age. That being said, we decided to just follow her lead. She has always been really good at transitioning when she is ready. So, we figured we would just wait on her cues.
Apparently, Tessa is starting the process of being ready to potty like a big girl earlier than we had expected. She has wanted to read the two potty books we have more often. I thought these were a little weird night time stories, but she always gets to choose the books. Who am I to tell her what she wants to read?
Then, last weekend I was in the bathroom when Tessa barges in in all of her glory and declares, "I potty." I didn't think much of it, as she squatted down by the bathtub. Then, I smelled the results of her squatting. She had pooped in the bathroom after declaring, "I potty." So, after changing her diaper I decided to go ahead and get the potty chair out. What could it hurt for her to sit on it and just learn to feel comfortable with it, right? The next time she was in the bathroom she said, "I potty" and had to put a piece of toilet paper in her potty. Very cute. Then a few nights ago, she walked into the bathroom naked ready for her bath. Again she squatted by the potty, made her declaration of "I potty", squatted and peed on the floor. Broch and I decided then, that if she made her potty declaration again, we would just sit her on the potty and wait to see what happened.
Well, last night was the big night. She walked into the bathroom, ready to take her bath and made her declaration. We had her sit on the potty and nothing. No big deal, right? Then she sat on the potty again a second time. This time, she grunted a little and when she stood up there were a few drops of pee in the potty. We were so excited and proud of her. Who knew pee could be so exciting?
We will continue to follow Tessa's lead and not push her, but we sure were proud parents last night - both GiGi and MeMa and Papa got phone calls about this big accomplishment!
Go Tessa! I'm sure you guys wouldn't mind being done with diapers sooner rather than later!
ReplyDelete